Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Comparison: part 2 - Biltwell X Fulmer V 2





This comparison WAS NOT made by me.It was taken from XLFORUM.net. It'll help answering the question I got from the previous post. In my opinion that was a very good comparison. You can see that the V2 is taller and the Biltwell is wider. I think Fulmer did a very good job making a DOT as small as that one. But never will a D.O.T. helmet be able to fit and look so small as a non-DOT (novelty) helmet.

Quote:
Here are 2 of my helmets. The Silver one is a Biltwell (novelty), and the red one is a Fulmer V2 (DOT.

The Fulmer is only slightly larger in height (maybe 1/2 inch). The Biltwell is slightly wider. The Biltwell is also a little lighter in weight, but not a significant difference.

The Biltwell shell is not as rigid as the Fulmer and there is only soft foam padding inside, vs. the Fulmer's DOT approved styrene liner.

The Biltwell's foam lining makes for a very comfortable fit, and because of its "flimsiness" can adjust to as fat of a head as the wearer has. The Fulmer on the other hand will require a head measurement prior to ordering, and there is no guarantee that it will fit properly. I only purchased it online without trying one on because I also have a Fulmer Hombre (that I absolutely hate and never wear) and I used the same size for the V2, the fit is perfect.

The Fulmer feels much more substantial/solid than the Biltwell. The foam and leather that lines the styrene shell is soft and conforms well to the head. It seals around the cheeks and forehead well. There is plenty of space at the ears to accommodate for ear buds (important to me). The Biltwell lining is all fabric and though it is soft and comfortable, it doesn’t seal as well around the cheeks and forehead. There is quite a bit less wind buffeting with the Fulmer.

I would never tell anyone what to do or what to wear. I will tell you that the Biltwell is shelved and I wear the Fulmer exclusively now.


I GUESS ANYTIME YOU GO FOR A 'ONE SIZE FITS ALL' YOU CAN'T EXPECT IT TO FIT PERFECTLY. IT'S NOT EVEN FAIR TO EXPECT THAT.

No comments:

Post a Comment

blog tracker